Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Furious Rant for Easter

I have been following the story of little Gracee Broom who is the child of an Australian family who had the misfortune of being born in America at 24 weeks gestation. Although the family had travel insurance with Aami, Aami is refusing to contribute to Gracee's medical care because the pregnancy was a pre existing condition and Gracee herself was not mentioned in the original policy.

Gracee's care costs $5000 per day, and the delivery cost the family $40000. Gracee is now 32 weeks old and won't be released at least until her due date.

Like all micro prems, she is a warrior to be humbled by.

Tonight her family's story was featured on channel 7, 9 and 10 news and so out march the trolls.

Well, one troll. He demanded to know how this family can expect donations or help, especially government help.

My head nearly blew off.

I had my say (obviously. Sweet, demur woman I am), and he retorts with the information that he had a 32 weeker and because he had her in another state, they had expenses they had to cover, with no help. I got a wee bit personal, demanding to know if he accepted the Baby Bonus and if he accepts either or both Family Tax benefits, and I might have said perhaps his child's care should only have been covered up until his contribution to Medicare had run out. I also pointed out that the cost for a 32 weeker was roughly $40000 (which we found out when Medibank Private sent us the fully paid invoice for Lily's care and delivery. They didn't want anything but for us to acknowledge they had been very good to us) and queried as to whether he knew the true cost of the care of a premmie. Anyway, I got it all off my chest, pointing out the cost for Gracee's care would have been the same in Australia, the tax payer just would have footed the bill without even realising it and he seems to have either logged off for the night or acknowledged he was a wanker.

But I can't leave it there. I can't tell someone off for being an insenstive arsehole and not DO something active.

So I implore to you to donate to Gracee's Appeal, either with cash or by getting involved in the auction that wonderful friends and family are running.

No family deserves this, Gracee certainly doesn't deserve this, and if you have a spare $5, or are looking to do a bit of philanthropy, please consider donating to this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment