Friday, January 3, 2014

Dusted Off

At New Year's 2011/12 I made the resolution to write in my blog weekly. Throughout the year, my posts dwindled until the final one was made in August 2012.

This was really sad, especially as I haven't written in it since. I love to write, but variously I was too busy, too boring, and putting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much pressure on myself to write amazing things. On occasion I was also too miserable.

But this year is different. This year marks a huge change in our lives, for the very first time, not only will we be living in a different city from all our family, but on a whole other continent.

On 3 February 2014, our family will be boarding a one way flight to Raleigh, North Carolina, with our dog and cat in tow, where my husband will be working for a company called Avalara. I will be recommencing my life as a stay at home mum after working part time in 2013 for the YMCA Children's Services Central Coast and the rest are just going along for the ride.

I have, since I can remember, wanted to spend some time living overseas, and before the bottom fell out of world in 2009, we were planning a grand adventure. Anywhere would do, but I think England had been the top of our list. But then life happened. Repeatedly and relentlessly.

Sometime in 2013, we realised life had stopped happening. We were bumbling long at a normal pace, and doing normal things everyday. And we looked at each other and thought, "It's time."

So, after significant hard work, and quite a few disappointments and general mistakes, my husband secured himself a job with Avalara, as a senior software engineer which granted him eligibility for an E3 Visa. So we're going.

Why not, after all?


My plan is to pick up writing in my blog again to keep everyone up to date on our adventures, and as we plan to have quite a lot, record them for myself and my children.

We are also, for pretty much the sole benefit of the grandmothers, commencing a photo a day project, which we'll upload weekly to the blog rather than Facebook.

Happy 2014, and hope you enjoy coming along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment