Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My kids are pretty awesome

Today was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Archer, having embraced his inner koala, has decided that the only appropriate way to sleep is curled into my side, clinging to my pyjama top, much like a koala joey. The kid can roll, so short of hog tying him and stapling his swaddle to the mattress, there's not a whole lot I can do about this. It means I don't sleep much and my back is acting up something fierce. Last night was especially bad because I decided he was going to sleep in his own bed, damnit. BAHAHAHAHA. Awwww, good try, Mummy. Obviously offended by my efforts, he decided that today, he was going to make up for the lost hour in bed with me and his father, by screaming everytime I even thought about putting him down. He's usually a much happier baby than this, and I actually didn't help matters by ramming my finger repeatedly in his mouth checking for teeth and an explainable source of his grumps.

Lily, blessedly slept through until 8:05, but decided it was a "no nap" day. For those that have never encountered a toddler outside of their local Maccas, that means that, even though she was tired and grumpy, she felt that she didn't need to nap. Most days this is okay, not great, but okay. But, after my night with Archer, I needed a nap. I battled it out for two hours (the usual length of her nap) and lost.

So, my mood was thunderous. I may or may not have gotten on gmail and messaged Bob that he could fucking stay fucking home while I went fucking back to fucking work. Or something.

When I asked Bob what I should write about in my blog this week, he suggested I write about all the great things our kids do. And I thought, after my day, this was actually pretty perfect.

Lily has had a personality explosion in the last little while. Not only is she communicating better, she's beginning to really exercise her social intelligence. Something we've been doing about 8 times a day lately is just looking at each other and giggling. Lily always initiates it and it's freaking ADORABLE. It's surprisingly cathartic, mood lifting and stress relieving just to laugh for no reason. She loves to come to you for cuddles, snuggling in tight and saying, "awww".

She's started to show some idea about her appearance. She wants to get dressed in the mornings and brush her hair and teeth. She gets stroppy if we don't put shoes on her if we're going out. She likes to pick out shoes for me. Lately, she's been carrying around one of those hair clip bows and demanding to have "pretty" put in her hair. Last night, Bob put one in his hair and she said, "Awww, pretty Daddy."

She likes to read us books. She asks to get on our "knee" and reads to us. Her favourite is A Great Day for Up by Dr Suess, but I think that's because she can read the word "up".

Several times throughout the day, music or no, she announces "DANS" and does a dance. It goes: wave arms in the air, the "we did it" arms from Dora the Explorer while stomping, twirl in a circle.

She's allowed to watch Playschool and Dora the Explorer. When the episode finishes, she waves bye bye and says, "Bye Ted/ Dora." And goes and turns the TV off.

She is developing a relationship with her brother. She gets excited to see him in the mornings and is upset when he's still sleeping. She makes an effort to soothe him when he's sad and likes to make him laugh. She says "shhhh" and is quiet when he's sleeping. She treats him as an equal, just yesterday putting her foot in his lap when he did the same to her. She also seems to want to include him in her plans for world domination, as evidence by her getting a large table knife out of the cutlery drawer and stomping over to him chanting his name, "Arch, Arch, Arch." Today, she played the giggling game with him, kissed hom twice voluntarially and then gave him a cuddle. They actually seem to really love each other.

Archer has also been developing rapidly these last few weeks. He wants to be up and about, looking around and is frustrated by anything that blocks his view of the world, even breastfeeding.

He cries to get your attention and then laughs his head off when he gets it (which, of course, we are enabling because it's too cute).

He is a regular chetterbox, talking up a storm whenever he feels the need to give a running commentary on his day.

His favourite thing to do right now is cuddle up with Daddy or Mummy and read a book with his sister. His first bookt hat he enjoyed? A Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The exact same as his sister.

And there you have it. Even when I'm about tear my hair out, turns out, my kids a pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment